Sunday, April 12, 2009

Like a Prayer....

Soooo....
If someone asked me if I was a religious person I would probably say no. I don´t go to Church on Sunday. I don´t say my prayers before bedtime. I´m not completely sold on the idea of heaven and hell. It bothers me that religion causes so much horror and violence in the world, when really, I believe everyone is praying to the same idol, be it Buddah, Allah, or God. However, I´m not an athiest, and my mind is completely open to the idea of there being a higher being. I think that I would like to class myself as ´Spiritual´. I have been attending Mass (and I´m not Catholic) regularly since being in Spain, and I have also been going to the odd prayer session - being careful to stay away from any open flames...! I find these sessions very meditative and relaxing. It is very peaceful.

I´m not interested in starting any debates with this post.
What I want is to share something with you all. This is a prayer that was said last night, and I thought it was special.

When the dust of the Camino and of our life stick to our shoes, Star of Compestela, Princess Star, will you tell me how to reach love?

PRAYER OF ST FRANCIS
Lord, make me a channel of thy peace.
That where there is hatred, I may bring love.
That where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness.
That where there is discord, I may bring harmony.
That where there is error, I may bring truth.
That where there is doubt, I may bring faith.
That where there is despair, I may bring hope.
That where there are shadows, I may bring light.
That where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Grant that I may seek to comfort rather than be comforted.
To understand, than be understood.
To love, than to be loved.
For, it is by self forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.

If you look past the fact that it is a religious prayer, it actually is a very soothing message and makes a lot of sense... It made me think anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Well Jess, you know I´m Catholic, but I like to think I´ve a very open mind. That´s a wonderfull pray for everyone. The important is not to be Catholic, Muslim or whatever, the important is to feel that you´re a human being... Just be a pilgrim...
    Sorry for my English

    ReplyDelete