Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Temples of Zen

On my second day in Japan, Ashi and I caught the train into the countryside to a place called Kamakura. We started at the Engakuji Zen Temple, which is one of 5 Zen Temples in Kamakura. It was absolutely stunning, set high in the mountains, and felt like we were walking through a 5 star resort in the middle of a rainforest. The Temple was still in use by monks, so much of it was off limits, but it was worth going to have a look. It dates back to the 14th Century, but everything was so well looked after that it looked new, despite being hundreds of years old. The architecture of the buildings was spectacular and much of the Temple was classified as a National Treasure, very cool.


While we were at Engakuji, we partook in a traditional Green Tea Ceremony, which was so special. We were sitting out on a wide deck overlooking the forest, and I could have stayed there forever. The utter peacefulness was almost numbing...


Our next stop was the Kotoko-in Daibutsu, or The Great Buddha, circa 1252. It was HUGE and amazing, and I was even more amazed when Ashi told me it was only the 3rd largest Buddha in Japan!


Our final destination for the day was Enoshima Island, where we visited another Shrine. It was a wet and windy walk across the brudge to get to the island, and then very steep walk up a shop lined street to the shrine, but I was happy because I got to play my new favourite game, dodge the brolley! When we got to the Shrine we kept out fitness levels up and climbed what felt like a never ending set of stairs which lead to a variety of different shrines and temples until we finally reached the top and could enjoy the view of the water stretching out to the mainland.



It was stunnning day and a great end to a great couple of days in Japan. I am so lucky that I have a fabulous friend in Ashi - I can't imagine being in Japan without him! Thanks Ashi x

No comments:

Post a Comment