Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 11: Burgos - Hornillos Del Camino

Via VILLABILLA, TARDAJOS and RABE DE LAS CALZADAS.
Approx 20km

I had a very late start today, because I had to do some serious shopping and the shops didn't open until 10am. Burgos was the first town that was big enough to have clothing shops, so up until this point I had been wearing my burnt out jacket (which still smelt fetchingly like burnt plastic). A few of the others waited with me, either because they had some things to get, or because they didn't want to walk off alone.

The shop that I had my eye on to buy my new jacket from was supposed to open at 10, but didn't actually open until 10.30, much to my annoyance! Considering I would usually be 2.5 - 3 hours into my walk by this point, it was incredibly frustrating! However, open it did, and new jacket I bought...Good times!


Not much else to say about the day today. Because we started so late the day seemed never ending! I walked with Stefi from Germany and Ronnie from Rome, and we stopped every km or so to lean against a wall and complain! At least I was in good company! When we were walking through Rabe De Las Calzadas, a group of nuns stopped us and the Mother Superior started speaking to Ronnie and asked where we were from. When he told them I was Australian, another nun began translating in English, which was very kind. They told us that they would pray for us on our journey and asked that we pray for them when we arrived in Santiago. They were so pleased to see us making the journey!



At the Albergue, I met the first absolutely horrible person on the Camino, a woman who took an instant dislike to me and spent all her energy in the evening trying to befriend my friends and ostracise me. A good lesson to learn - not everyone will like you, and if they don't it is their problem, not yours. True, brother, true.

No comments:

Post a Comment