Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 15: Carrion De Los Condes - Ledigos

Good Friday
Via CALZADILLA DE LA CUEZA
Approx 24km.

An average start to the day, but things picked up about 17.5 km in! The road from Carrion to Calzadilla was long and straight, and I passed nothing for about 4 hours! The road was muddy and rocky and really started to hurt my feet about 10km in, so I wasn't sure how far I would be able to continue today.


I stopped for coffee in Calzadilla with Hermann and Otmar, and contemplated stopping there for the night, but the coffee fortified me and I was ready to power on! I think they might have slipped something into the drink, because I took off like I had rockets attached to my feet. I had just started walking when it started to hail - Day 15 and finally some bad weather!


I loved it! I put on my poncho and kept going. The wind was insane and freezing and I have never felt more alive in my life. I left Hermann and Otmar for dead and had showered and rested by the time they arrived in the Albergue! It was absolutely freezing in Ledigos, and I found out that the town is 863m above sea level, so no wonder.

Hermann, Otmar and I went to Good Friday Mass in the evening at the town cathedral, and following the service we enjoyed a very special meal together. We had planned to spend the night with each other, as I began my solo journey the next day, leaving them behind. Unfortunately, this evening was to be the last time I ever saw Hermann. I had arranged to meet Otmar again in Santiago, but more about that later..


I really enjoyed the last few days that I spent with these men.Their lack of English and my terrible German have given us some incredibly funny times. I will definately be an awesome addition to any game of charades!

No comments:

Post a Comment