Monday, June 22, 2009

On the Road

My book of choice for the Camino De Santiago was "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac.



I had been told about this book by someone who made a very brief, yet lingering impression on my life...who taught me many lessons about life - and how we should, or probably more appropriately, shouldn't, live our lives.....

Anyway, the passion this person had for the story of the life-altering journey of young Karouac always sparked my curiosity - and what better story to read as a young person embarking on what would be my life-altering journey?

My copy of "On The Road" was a given to me as a gift from Lucy Mann - the day before I left for Spain. I read it every day of my journey and it really spoke to me. It was written in 1951, and is a largely autobiographical tale that is based on a serious of road trips across America. The story is considered as defining work of the Beat Generation, and much of it was inspired by jazz, poetry, and drugs.

Karouac's style of writing ('spontaneous prose') is different to anything I've ever read, and I can understand why this novel is so important to so many people.

Highly recommended - especially if you're having a 'what the f@#k am I doing with my life' kind of time!

"the most beautifully executed, the clearest and most important utterance" of Kerouac's generation - New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment